Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Web Policies | Help  

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Discipline > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

This is the place to find answers to common questions about the discipline process.

Question: "How do I file a complaint against a Doctor or Physician Assistant?"

Answer: Click here to open our email complaint form. You may use this electronic form to file a complaint against a provider (a physician or a physician's assistant).

Question: Why should I file a complaint against a licensee? Don't all doctors band together to protect each other?

Answer: The Board is composed of both physician and public representatives appointed by the governor. They have a commitment to protecting the health, welfare, and safety of the public by licensing physicians and physician assistants and investigating concerns raised by both the public and other credentialing/licensing agencies. The Board has taken many actions against licensees including both non-disciplinary and disciplinary actions. For a list of disciplinary actions see our adverse actions page (Click here to view Adverse Actions)

Question: "Where can I find information on Doctors who have been disciplined?"

Answer: Click here to go to our Adverse Actions page. An adverse licensing action may be either modifications or conditions attached to a license at the time it is issued or the discipline of an already existing license.

Question: " How can I check the licensing status of a Doctor licensed in Maine?"

Answer: Click here to go to the Maine docboard search page. This is where you can search for a Physician or Physician Assistant by license or name.

Question: "How can I check the status of a Doctor licensed elsewhere in the US?"

Answer: Click here to go to the AIM nationwide Physician Search page. This has a search engine for all participating State Boards and links to non-participating State Boards.

Question: "How can I file a complaint against a Hospital or Nursing Home in Maine?"

Answer: This Board does not regulate Hospitals or Nursing homes, but to file Complaints against Nursing Home or Hospitals in Maine- please call 1-800-383-2441

Question: "How can I file a complaint against a Home Health care agency in Maine?"

Answer: This Board does not regulate Home Health Care Agencies - For Licensing & Certification, questions & complaints - please call 1-800-621-8222

Question: What if I have other questions about the Board of Licensure in Medicine's disciplinary processes that aren't answered here.

Answer: You can contact the Board's Consumer Assistant, Tim Terranova at (207)287-3608 or toll-free in Maine at 888-365-9964 during business hours or email him by clicking here.